A shortage of traditional foreign missionaries: Missiologists estimate we will need at least 10 million traditional missionaries to attain this goal of worldwide evangelism.
A shortage in mission funding: The projection is that we will need over 1.5 trillion dollars per year to do the job!
- It eliminates many of the “insurmountable” obstacles.
- Every “restricted access” (10/40) country sends students here.
- Ministry to international is performed largely by Volunteers.
- It is cost effective.
- Ministry to Internationals requires no visas, etc.
- International students represent the “cream of the crop”. They come from a socioeconomic level that is normally not accessible for years for traditional missionaries.
- Many of them will return to positions of influence and authority.
Only two methods of accomplishing God’s plan are recorded in scripture for both the Israelites and the church. They are: sending His people to the lost and sending the lost to His people:
The world has always learned about the Lord through the travels of His people. The world is still hearing about God from these “sent-out” ambassadors. The church calls them - “missionary programs”.
Another method of God’s design is less known. He sends representation from nations to where His people live and work in order that these strangers could hear and receive the truth about God and carry it back to their people. In the Old Testament, this method is highlighted by the instruction to his people regarding their attitude to and relationship with “strangers”, “alien” or Internationals. I call this method, “Foreign Mission in Reverse.”
We see this pattern in both the Old and New Testaments. The early church was very aware of the strategic nature of this mission work.
More than 500,000 international studies are conducted yearly. Sadly, a very small percent of internationals make contact with a Christian during their stay in America. They end up forming subcultures that are never penetrated by the “church.” Many Internationals come here loving this “Christian” nation. Many may and do return to their home countries never knowing about Christianity or Christ! And they associate their bad experience to “Christianity”. Can you imagine the impact we could have in the world through internationals witness?